Thursday 14 April 2011

Communities
Social
Communal
Groups
Networks
Collective
Forums
(I must say that I was tempted to look at the Thesaurus at this point in my list-making…)

This list now takes me to another list

Initiative
Action
Start
Force
Together
Collective
Communities

Oops, there I am - right where I started. Square One.

As much as I would like to say that change is constant, as tempting as it is, I would like to note the use of ‘constant’ in that phrase. I would like to believe that change is inevitable but it is going through a cyclical motion and we always get back to where we started. Just like my list making activity that I began this passage with.

However, it is the attitude of change that worries me. Deeply concerns and moves me. Shakes me up, even, and I shudder to think of the impact of the attitude. I am not worried at this attitude for my great grandchildren, as I know that atthis stage their lives would be comfortable. It is the children and the grand children’s lives I am worried about in terms of the current attitude to change.

There must be some way that the attitude will help secure all future generations (which would include, ofcourse, my children’s grand children’s, great grand children’s and so on the so forth’s lives)?

I must be too idealistic.

This is not to say that I am hoping for an idealistic, all happiness encompassing society. Nay, I am all for negative engeries. It is the negative that brings us to positive. What would life be without conflict? Conflict really is the essence of life.

I must be really rambling here.

To get back to where I started – in reference to Anna Hazare’s fast against corruption, a friend’s friend of mine on Facebook (ah, what would life be if I did not receive news feed on Facebook, my allowed-by-law stalk assistant?) posted this as her status message:
Should fast change or should we change fast?

Now I do not know what the girl stands for (or I am unaware if there is anyone in my generation that would rightfully ‘stand for’ anything that did not include discount deals or happy hours) but I do believe in that statement.

What is the point of communities, collectives, forums, groups, networks, if they all do not take action together? Hazare’s ‘supporters’ were mere Facebook status masters (it is quite angering to notice that people support Anna Hazare by putting up ‘support Anna Hazare’ on their Facebook without actually doing anything about it) or those who put up banners in their schools and colleges. If Hazare wanted the support, the individuals could have gone on fast as he did and stayed put at the place he did. There was a very subtle mockery of Hazare’s genuine action. Action, which was his Initiative, against corruption. He also needed Networks, Collectives, Communities, who would have come together and together drafted a statement of objectives. A bill being passed is no objective. India has an enviable list of bills, I am told. It is the implementation and execution that is required. The collectives, communities, networks could have helped in this direction.  


 
Please Note: This is an unedited version of all that I ramble about. However, your comments are deeply solicited.

No comments:

Post a Comment